Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Observations of an Entrepreneur

Your name?
yfs1 of course although many people call me Jason

What is your site called?
The site is called Off the Top of My Head and it is basically a collection of my observations. It started as a look at forums and my thoughts about them, but it has developed much more into a resource for those who are either looking to start an online business or rely on one for their income.

How old is the site?
The site is only around 5 months old. I had been reluctant to start a more personal site but I find the blogging method lends itself well to my type of writing.

What is the one unique feature of this site?
If I had to pick one, it would be my Online Business Tutorial. It is certainly the most popular and its a step by step guide written by someone who has actually done it. There are so many "Rich Jerk" type guides written to make money for their author so it was important for me to provide a guide in my own words that left room for the reader to insert their own style.

Do you make money from this site?
It brings in money but as far as profit, no.

What is the main revenue stream for this site?
If you look at the site you will notice something of a rarity, as ther are no AdSense or Yahoo ads. I have experimented out of curiousity but always come to the conclusion that the intrusion of the ads is never justified by the revenue they bring on. Most of the money that comes in is from donations.

If you were to sell this site, how much do you think it would sell for?
If it was sold, it would be purely based on things like PR and number of visitors which might get it $1k-$2k. However, any attempt to monetize it would hurt its image and probably cut into the number of visitors. I think most of the value, like most original blogs is in the author and that makes it very difficult to value.

What are your plans with this site?
I have no drastic plans except to keep speaking my mind and trying to give advice in an arena I control. I give lots of advice in forums but you never know how it will be viewed sandwiched between a post containing lol and spam (As often happens in forums)

What sites are your biggest competitors?
I don't have competition in a sense as if I found a site doing the same thing and it was good, I would link to it. yfs1.com is really about visitor experience and I have no problem linking to any site that adds to that.

Do you rank well in search engines for this site? If yes, for what search terms?
We do, although as any blogger will know, it is commonly for strange terms. I regularly post these and try to present them in a comical way. I call it questions and answers


How have you promoted this site in the past?
Not really, most of the traffic is either from Search Engines or the blog link that many forums display.

Going forward how do you intend to promote this site?
Same as always, word of mouth and organic linking. It's not really a site I would promote the same way as my online stores. I prefer the slow growth it has achieved.

No comments: